You already think I'm nuts huh....getting you to eat brussels sprouts! (and who even knew it was brusselS sprouts..not just brussel...cah-razy!)
I first saw the recipe on TV Diner with Mistah Billy Costa, and trust me, it's DELICIOUS. Maybe because it's made with bacon it, and though generally I try to stay away from the stuff, every once in a while, especially when its mixed with veggies, its not a bad thing. Not to mention, It's a good way to get the kids to eat their greens moms and dads! As well as a perfect side for the holidays to any kind of meal!
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 slices of Bacon
1/4 onion (red or white, whichever flavor you like better)
2 lbs brussel sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 cup low sodium chicken stock
salt and pepper
1. Cook your bacon as normal, and cook it well if you can so that most of the grease comes out - remove from pan when cooked and pat dry.
2. Leaving a tad amount of the bacon grease in the pan (lil bit of flavor) - add in 1 tbsp of olive oil and the diced up onions. Cook till onions are soft.
3. Add Brussels sprouts halves to the pan and let cook for 2 minutes soaking up the olive oil.
3. Add chicken stock (or water if you don't want all the sodium, still come out flavorful) and let cook on medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. As the broth begins to dissolve in the heat, the Brussels Sprouts will get really tender. Cut up the cooked bacon and toss it back in the pan and stir with a tad of salt and pepper.
I revised Stuart Okeefe's Version because its a little bit easier to cook it this way, and since I cooked it this way this past week, I know it comes out just the same :)